- The Montessori Teacher...
- demonstrates faith in the child
- models a quiet voice
- models a calming manner
- models appropriate social interaction and behavior
- acts as a facilitator/guide
- models and teaches specific attitudes and skills of inclusion
- welcomes/fosters parental involvement, partnership, time
- demonstrates knowledge of Ministry and Montessori curriculum
SPECIALIZED TEACHER EDUCATION
The creation and maintenance of the Montessori prepared environment, understanding the many specialized Montessori materials, knowledge of Montessori curriculum, sensitive periods and planes of development, and especially, making the "dynamic link" between each child and the learning environment, requires additional specialized teacher education beyond B.C. Certification. Teachers must be supported in acquiring this training and keeping current in Montessori materials and techniques (e.g. school purchasing albums and providing mentoring time). Montessori teachers demonstrate a commitment to participate in Montessori training. Montessori educators demonstrate their understanding of and commitment to the Montessori philosophy as shown in this document. Polaris administration and staff are committed to the provision of opportunities for all teachers interested in Montessori education to participate in training and in-service sessions. The School Board, the P.G.D.T.A., Pro D Committee, and the Montessori Education Society shall support the staff in these endeavors.