In 1922 Hixon School began in a log schoolhouse called Canyon Creek School. It remained in use until 1955 when two portable schools and a teacherage replaced it. These were situated at the present school site, at the north end of the property.
The portable schools were replaced in 1958 when the present school was built. Called "Hixon Superior School", it was built to accomodate students up to grade 10. The school had 4 classrooms and a gymnasium and was first powered by a big generator.
Hydro Power came to Hixon in 1960. At this time, two classrooms were added onto the school. Another two were added in 1961, giving the school 8 classrooms in total.
Students in grades 11 and 12 went to Prince George for school. This meant they had to find their own accommodation, or stay in the dorms next to the school (the dorms were old army barracks).
In 1965, due to the population growth and expansion of the Central Interior, School District #57 was consolidated and students in grades 8, 9 and 10 were to be bussed into Prince George to Blackburn Junior Secondary. By this time, the grade 11 and 12 students were also being bussed to Prince George Secondary. At this point, "Hixon Superior School" became known as "Hixon Elementary School".
As of the 2002 closure of Blackburn Junior Secondary, all students of Hixon in grades 8 - 12 are bussed to Prince George Secondary. Hixon Elementary continues to this day with grades K - 7.