1401 - 17th Avenue, Prince George, BC, V2L 3Z2
Ron Brent Elementary
Something to Rave About
Programs & Services
English Language Learning
Prince George Weather
Cold Weather Policy SD#57
Cold weather policy
BOARD OF EDUCATION
School District No. 57
2100 Ferry Avenue
Prince George, B.C. V2L 4R5
School District No. 57 (Prince George) Page 1 of 4
Student safety shall be the primary concern that determines actions taken as a result of
cold or inclement winter weather.
Responsibility Centre: Assistant Superintendents
, Sections 73 and 85
School District No. 57 (Prince George) Page 2 of 4
School operational procedures and expectations regarding staff and student attendance
during severe winter weather must be clarified.
School District No. 57 (Prince George) Page 3 of 4
Schools shall not be closed because of cold or inclement weather.
2. On days when student attendance is reduced substantially because of cold or
inclement weather conditions or because travel is considered treacherous,
regular scheduled instruction may be modified for those students who attend
school. The administrative procedures of this policy provide assistance to the
principal and teachers in determining the educational program that will be
3. School bus service will not be cancelled because of cold weather.
4. Individual bus runs may be cancelled for the day (morning and afternoon runs)
because of dangerous road conditions. Cancellations will be announced on local
radio as soon as possible after the decision to cancel a run is made.
5. The decision to keep a student at home for the day because of winter weather
conditions shall be made by the parents.
6. Students shall not be expected to wait for a school bus for more than fifteen
minutes past the scheduled pick-up time. If the bus has not arrived by that time,
students should return to their homes or to another prearranged place of shelter.
7. Notwithstanding Regulation 1, school closures may be required for reasons other
than wither weather. See Policy 6114 (Emergency Situations in Schools).
8. School staff are expected to attend school on their scheduled work days.
However, if a staff member is unable to travel to work because of weather or
road conditions, a discretionary day, vacation or leave without pay will be
granted, as applicable, in accordance with the relevant collective agreement.
Staff are expected to make every reasonable effort to travel to work, but should
not place themselves at undue risk in attempting to do so.
9. Staff members who are unable to travel to school because of road conditions
must inform their principal at the earliest time possible.
10. Principals will ensure that parents are informed about Regulations 1 through 6
each fall and periodically through the winter months.
Revised: 1991.10.29, 1994.12.06, 1996.06.11, 2008.09.23
School District No. 57 (Prince George) Page 4 of 4
1. On days when student attendance is reduced because of weather conditions,
schools should consider the following options:
1.1. Regular instruction.
1.2. Modified instruction.
1.3. Review sessions.
1.4. Work completion sessions.
1.5. Individual or small group instruction.
1.6. Special research projects.
1.7. Directed study sessions.
1.8. Multi-age grouping for instruction.
1.9. Student tutorials.
1.10. Supervised study and/or activity sessions.
1.11. Some combination of the above.
2. In advance of the cold weather months, schools should consult with parents and
clearly communicate to parents what educational alternatives the school will offer
in the event of low attendance caused by excessively cold weather.
Revised: 1984.12.06, 1996.06.11